Thomas Statue in DC
- Thomas Circle, 14th & Vermont Ave., N.W., Washington, DC
- The sculpture is the work of John Quincy Adams Ward and is
- considered one of the finest equestrian statues in the country.
- It was unveiled by the general’s comrades in 1879.
- See additional photos of Thomas statue
- And my favorite photo of the Statue
For recent information on Thomas Circle go to Thomas Circle (courtesy of Grace Rovegno Fleet)
J. Wilson MacDonald, a sculptor in New York City, was one of several artists invited to propose a design. He showed a sketch of his design to the statue committee at a meeting of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland, and later replied with a formal proposal dated December 1, 1872. This well-written letter shows some of the artistic ideas as well as the planning and estimating (as well as salesmanship) that goes into a major piece of art. See J. Wilson MacDonald’s letter.